New Student Information
ENROLLMENT FOR NEW TO THE DISTRICT STUDENTS
2022-2023 School Year
ENROLLMENT PROCESS (Resident Students and Pre-Approved School of Choice/Non-Resident Students):
- Complete Pre-Registration Form
- An “Enrollment Pre-Registration Approved” email will be sent
- A second email “Welcome to Sparta Area Schools” will be sent that will walk you through the steps to create a PowerSchool Parent Portal account.
- Complete ALL Enrollment Forms via your PowerSchool Parent Portal Account
There are two options to complete the enrollment based on parental/guardian preference:
- NO APPOINTMENT NEEDED - You will complete all forms and upload the required documentation (see below) online. All documents must be uploaded and a clear image. You will receive a phone call from the school with a schedule and start date.
- BY APPOINTMENT - If you have any special circumstances, would like to discuss your students enrollment, or need assistance with uploading documents, click here to schedule an appointment.
You must complete and submit a Non-Resident Release form to Kelly Houtman at the administration building prior to completing enrollment. Once the application is approved, you will be contacted with instructions to complete the enrollment process. Please note that you must be pre-approved for school of choice in order to complete the enrollment process. Additional information can be found on our School of Choice/ Non-Resident Application page.
RESIDENT DISTRICT LOOKUP - This link will assist in verifying what school district you reside in.
At time of registration Parent(s) or Legal Guardian(s) MUST provide the following documents:
- Original Birth Certificate
* The Michigan Missing Children’s Act (MCL 380.1135) requires that you provide a copy of the child’s original birth
certificate when you are enrolling in school. If you do not meet this requirement within 30 days, the school must notify
local law enforcement.
- Current Immunization Records
- Proof of Residency (two proof of residency types from the list below)
* Rental/Lease Agreement (signed within last year)
* Mortgage Statement
* Real Estate Tax Bill (current calendar year)
* Electric, Gas, Cable, or Water Bill (dated within last 60 days)
* Taxes (dated within last 60 days)
* Valid Driver's License or State ID
- Court Ordered Legal Guardianship Documents - if applicable
- Current IEP or 504 Plan - if applicable
Questions regarding enrollment? Please email email@example.com
School of Choice/Non-Resident Application
Sparta Area Schools participates in both Kent Intermediate School District Schools of Choice Plan and the Section 105c State Plan. All students residing within the Kent Intermediate School District may apply for enrollment in any Kent ISD school that has available openings during the advertised time frame. Students who reside in a district that is within a different ISD that borders the Kent ISD, may also apply under the Section 105c plan depending on available openings.
- Non-Resident Release: Non-Resident Release Applications are available for students that do not live within the Sparta Area Schools boundaries but are interested in attending school at one of our buildings through the Kent County Schools of Choice or 105c programs.
- School of Choice (within Kent County): The School of Choice Application window is April 11 to May 13, 2022. Registering as a non-resident transfer student will automatically generate your School of Choice Application. Please go to the following link to begin your student's registration. If all available slots are not filled, the School of Choice window will remain open until Monday, August 22, 2022, or until all slots are filled, whichever occurs first.
- 105c (outside of Kent Count - must be contiguous county): The 105c Application window is June 1 to June 30, 2022. There is no extension of time even if slots remain available. Registering as a non-resident transfer student will automatically generate your 105c application. Please go to the following link to begin your child's registration.