Facility Use and Rental
Begin your facility use request:
(All facility use requests are completed online )
Creating an Account to Request Facility Use
All facility use requests are completed online.
- Create an ML Schedules User Account
- Once your account is created you can start making facility reservations using ML Schedules.
- Complete all information fields and then click the submit button.
- If your registration was successful you will receive an e-mail confirmation. The links below will provide additional information if needed.
Policy and Procedures
Sparta Area Schools, along with the Board of Education (BOE), reconigzes the use of the District's buildings and facilities are a valuable community resource. Our goal is to allow public use of the District's buildings that will not interfere with educational activities. Public access and use, as well as school procedures, regulations, rules and guidelines, are subject to all Board policies as outlined in SAS Board Policy 7510. The procedures and rates located on this webpage were developed under the guidance of the Michigan School Business Officials Guidance for Cost Recovery for Community Use of Schools.
When there are competing interests for the use of facilities, approval will be given according to the following priorities:
- Uses directly related to the schools and the operations of the schools.
- Uses for voter registration and elections.
- Meetings of employee associations.
- Uses and groups indirectly related to the schools.
- Departments or agencies of the municipal government.
- Other governmental agencies offering services for profit.
- Community organizations formed for charitable, civic, social or educational purposes.
- Commercial or profit-making organizations or individuals.
- Requests for funerals or memorial services - please contact the Superintendents's office (616-887-8253).
The Superintendent shall develop administrative guidelines for the granting of permission to use District facilities including a schedule of fees. Such guidelines are to include the following:
- Each user not covered by district insurance must present evidence of the purchase of organizational liability insurance to the limit prescribed by District administrative guidelines.
- Use of school equipment in conjunction with the use of school facilities must be requested specifically in writing, and may be granted by the procedure by which permission to use facilities is granted. The users of school equipment must accept liability for any damage or loss to such equipment that occurs while it is in their use. Where rules so specify, no item of equipment may be used except by a qualified operator.
- Users shall be financially liable for damage to the facilities.
- Users shall provide adequate supervision.
- No liability shall attach to this District, any employee, officer, or member of this District, specifically because of permitting access to these facilities.
Sparta Area Schools Facility Use Administrative Guidelines
- All organizations or individuals desiring to use District facilities shall complete an application and submit it to the Community Education Office for approval. Applications must be received at least two (2) weeks prior to the requested date of use.(Applications received after the two (2) week deadline may be approved at the districts discretion.)
- Completed applications for facility use, when charges are involved, must be accompanied by a deposit equal to ten (10) percent of the estimated fee. If the application is not approved, all deposits included with the application will be returned.
- The Community Education Office shall clear each application with respect to date, time and other arrangements and will provisionally approve or deny the use of school facilities on the basis of Board policy. Once approved the building administration will be notified of usage.
- Charges for school personnel will be based on the appropriate rate of pay for persons in the respective job classification whenever extra pay for school employees is required as a result of the use.
- The District reserves the right to demand sufficient time for fu ll investigation, notice, and arrangements of all requests for the use of school facilities and reserves first claim to the use of its own property. Cancellations may be issued by the Community Education Office with or without due notice. All approvals are to be granted with this understanding. Those requesting the use will be responsible for payment for all costs incurred, including the cost per hour charged for the use of the facility.
- In no case will those who have been granted permits assign, transfer or sublet the facility.
- Users must ensure orderly behavior and will be responsible for paying for all damage associated with their use of the facility or equipment.
- The District reserves the right to request payment of estimated fees in advance.
- Use of tobacco is prohibited on all school property.
- Possession of alcoholic beverages and controlled substances will not be permitted on District property at any time.
- Decorations must be fireproof and shall be erected and taken down in a manner not destructive to District property. Decorations are subject to the approval of the building administrator. The use of open flames, such as candles, is prohibited.
- The user shall be fully responsible for all loss or damage to District property, including property of students and employees.
- Requests for District-owned equipment are not included in the direct or indirect costs and shall be charged based on request and type of equipment.
- The use of any materials on floors or other parts of the building is strictly prohibited without specific approval in writing from the building administrator.
- Uses of stages, furniture, and equipment must be arranged for in advance. Arrangements must be made with the building administrator for use of any special or extra equipment. Extra compensation for paid employees for moving, operation, or supervising special or extra equipment will be charged to the using group. Additional custodial services required will be paid for by the using group.
- Use during summer vacation, on holidays, or during other vacation periods shall not conflict with building cleaning and renovating programs and will depend on the availability of building service personnel for supervision.
- Gambling of any kind is prohibited.
- Sparta Area Schools custodial services shall be used whenever a facility is being used except as exempted by the principal or facilities use coordinator. Sparta Area Schools custodial services will render assistance in handling furniture and equipment and will be responsible for seeing that the facility or facilities are left in good order after the activity is over. Sparta Area Schools custodial service charges including clean-up time will be charged at the appropriate hourly rate. Food service personnel shall be required when kitchen facilities are approved for use.
- Responsibility for enforcement of rules and regulations concerning use of District facilities rests with the user group, and any infractions of the above regulations may be grounds for refusing to grant subsequent requests for the use of District facilities.
- Corridors, exits, and stairways must be free of obstructions at all times. Exits are to be lighted when facilities are in use. Members of the audience or spectators must never stand or sit so they block exits, stairways or aisle ways.
- The District will not be responsible for any loss of valuables or personal property.
- Flyers, booklets, or other printed or audio-visual materials may not be distributed unless they relate directly to the activity for which the school facility is being used.
- Playground facilities may not be used by any youth over the age of eighteen (18) nor shall any person be allowed on playgrounds after dark.
- Skateboards and other like equipment which constitute a safety hazard to students shall not be allowed on District premises at any time.
Fees for Use of District Facilities
A schedule of fees for the use of District facilities is determined annually based upon the following factors:
- The use of District facilities for activities sponsored by the Sparta Area Schools that are directly related to the educational program and District operations shall be without cost to the user.
- Any Sparta Community nonprofit group may have the rental fee waived except that the users shall be responsible for expenses outside of the rental fee (i.e. custodial services).
- All other organizations or person granted the use of facilities shall assume the following charges as indicated, payable in advance, and the cost of such additional staff services as required.
Fees: 2022 Facility Use Rates
HS Auditorium* Refer to Auditorium Guidelines for fees
*Guidelines for use of the Sparta High School Auditorium must be followed. An additional auditorium usage application must be completed with the original facility use application for those desiring to use the auditorium.
Auditorium Use Reservation Guidelines
Reservation Guidelines (Scheduling requests must be made 30 days in advance of event!):
- All Auditorium usage requests must be approved by the Auditorium Manager (Kadie Howe)
- The Auditorium Manager will determine applicable fees based on needs/requests.
- Requests must be submitted at least one month in advance of desired date(s).
- All school requests for the upcoming school year submitted prior to January 31st of the current school year will be scheduled according to the SHS Performing Arts Center Priority Listing document.
- All outside requests after January 31st will be scheduled on a "first come, first serve basis".
- High School Fine Arts Events
- All other High School Academic Events
- Middle and Elementary Schools
- Clients who live or are based in the Sparta Area School District
- Clients who live or are based outside of the Sparta Area School District
Auditorium Use Rates
Updated 2022 Rates
Auditorium Usage Guidelines
Use of the SHS Performing Arts Center will be available to organizations provided all fees are paid, a contract is signed and the following guidelines are adhered to:
- No food or drink is allowed within the auditorium.
- Facilities will not be rented for private parties, including receptions and family gatherings.
- All groups must have a designated, responsible and approved non-student adult in charge who will take the total responsibility of discipline, protection of school property, etc.
- There is no smoking on school property.
- Only the rooms or designated areas granted in the original request shall be used.
- Classroom materials and/or equipment are not to be used without prior specific permission, if available.
- All rooms and areas are to be left in an orderly condition after usage.
- All money transactions will be handled through the business office.
- The Applicant shall complete and sign the form, “Application/contract for Use of School Facility” prior to using said facility.
- All users shall be financially liable for damage(s) to the facilities/equipment and for proper and acceptable supervision.
- All activities on Monday through Thursday shall terminate by 12:00 midnight unless specifically exempted by the building principal.
- No liability of any kind or nature shall be borne by the district, any employee, officer, agent, board members individually or collectively, as a consequence of permitting access to this facility or facilities.
- No alcoholic beverages of any kind or nature shall be served, consumed or brought onto school property.
- No illegal (non-prescription) drugs shall be used, consumed or brought onto school property.
- Nothing shall be sold, displayed or given away without the express prior written permission of the building principal.
- All electrical and mechanical equipment shall be used and operated only by school personnel or competent designee as approved by the auditorium manager. NO EXCEPTIONS!
- Disorderly conduct of any kind will be reported to the police and may result in the loss of the privilege to use the district facilities.
- The auditorium manager on duty normally will not open the building until the supervisor for the sponsoring group is on duty.
- Groups renting school facilities shall be required to furnish, in advance, a certificate of liability insurance coverage as stated herein, naming the Sparta Public School as an additional insured. In addition, a “hold Harmless” clause absolving the district of any liability shall be signed by the appropriate office of the group/organization. General Liability - $1,000,000 per occurrence/day Note: The district may require up to
$5,000,000 general liability insurance if deemed necessary.
- The use of the facilities shall be denied when such use would interfere with necessary repairs or general maintenance.
- The facility may be rented during the time the superintendent or his designee determines it is available.
- The superintendent may cancel any contract for misrepresentation and/or violation of policies or the contract.
- All of these guidelines/regulations shall be incorporated by reference in the contract agreed to and signed by the
- The number of stage hands necessary will be determined by the auditorium manager.
- The auditorium manager or designee shall be on duty when the auditorium and adjacent areas are used.
- The use of open flames, such as candles, is prohibited. Fire resistant materials shall be used whenever possible. Nothing shall be done in or on any part of the facility, and nothing shall be brought or kept in the facility which will, in any way, increase conditions of any insurance policy upon the building or any part of the building, or, in any way increase the rate of fire or public liability insurance upon the building, or property kept therein, or, in any way conflict with fire department regulations, or with any rules, regulations or ordinances. Further, without written consent of the superintendent, any individuals using the facility shall not operate any engine or motor or machinery or use oils, burning fluids, camphene, kerosene, naptha, or gasoline for either mechanical or other purposes.
- Set and scenery removal must occur no later than three days after the final performance, or sooner if required by the auditorium manager.
- School closing policies due to inclement weather shall not apply to usage by non-school groups.
- ABSOLUTELY no building or building materials on the stage.
- Loading and unloading of props and sets must come through the Science Tech/shop leading door only.
- All props must have a
padded/protective layer on any surface that touches the stage floor.
- No nailing into the stage floor.
- Any group performing in the auditorium must first have a guided tour of the facility by the Auditorium Manager.
- When rehearsing, students must not be in the auditorium - they need to remain either on the stage or backstage.
- No street shoes are to be worn on the stage. Please bring appropriate shoes, as discussed with the auditorium manager.
- No food or drink, including water, can be on the stage or backstage.
- No food or drink in the dressing rooms - water in designated bottles only.
- Please respect the property of the High School and if something is not yours, don’t touch it!
- If you have questions, please ask the Auditorium Manager.
Administrative Assistant to the Superintendent