1:1 Technology Information and Resources
At Sparta Area Schools, we have always prided ourselves on using technology to complement clearly-defined expectations for student learning. To that end, the district has been working for the last 2 years with Communications By Design, a technology consulting firm, our district technology committee, and 14-16 pilot teachers throughout the district to understand how technology can support what we do so well here in Sparta Area Schools. When implemented with efficacy, we believe that technology can:
- Help us provide personalized learning for all students;
- Facilitate data-driven instruction;
- Engage teachers in a meaningful way;
- Engage students in a meaningful way;
- Allow us to challenge the way we use our time and classroom space; and
- Allow us to connect inside and outside the classroom.
With these benefits in mind, Sparta Area Schools is proud of the opportunity to provide every student with increased access to technology over the next five years as a result of the community-supported bond that passed in May, 2016. Our students in grades 9 – 12 will be going 1:1 with technology, meaning each student will get a district Chromebook, starting in the 2017-18 school year. Additionally, all of the current Chromebooks in SHS will be moved to SMS and Appleview Elementary to be used by teachers and students in both of those buildings.
Many of our teachers have been preparing for our 1:1 computing environment for the past few years as part of our district technology pilot, and our SHS staff is receiving initial and ongoing professional development on technology integration in preparation for the upcoming school year. Over the next five years, Sparta Area Schools is working toward every student in the district having access to a technological device to use to enhance and support their learning.
High School 1:1 Chromebook Agreement Form
Student Technology Handbook
1:1 Technology FAQ's
Tech Tips for Using your Chromebook
1:1 Technology Night Invite
1:1 Technology Night Invite - Spanish
1:1 Technology Presentation
Insurance payment through Payschools link
Follow these steps to receive your Chromebook:
- Open and read the Student Technology Handbook
- Print, complete and sign the forms on pages 16-20 in the handbook.
- Return signed forms to the main office.
- Pay for insurance with a check or through PaySchools when submitting the forms in the main office.
Chromebook Insurance Information:
Sparta Area Schools requires that parents purchase insurance to cover accidental damage or theft of student devices (both issued and any loaner device, should they be needed). This policy does not cover for loss of the Chromebook, cosmetic damage, or damages caused by intentional misuse or abuse. Sparta Area Schools will assess any Chromebook damage incurred and repair or replace the device if the damage is determined to be accidental and within the protection guidelines. Devices in need of repair should be dropped off at the main office where a loaner device can be assigned until the original device is repaired.
- In the event that a district-issued device is lost or stolen, the student and parent/guardian should immediately notify the school administrator. The ﬁling of a police report by the parent/guardian is mandatory for insurance claim processing. In the absence of a police report, the parent/guardian will assume responsibility for the full replacement cost.
- In the event that a device is intentionally damaged the parent/guardian will be assessed a fee up to $225.00 for the replacement of the device.
- In the event that a police report is ﬁled for a lost or stolen device, Sparta Area Schools may aid the police in recovering the device.
- All devices are tagged with an asset label. The label is not to be tampered with or removed.
- Students who un-enroll from Sparta Area Schools during the school year must return the device along with any issued accessories at the time they leave the district. The device and all accessories should be returned to the school’s Main Office. Failure to return a device in a timely fashion may result in legal action or payment in full ($225.00).